Migrating from Windows to OS X
l***@my-deja.com
2005-06-18 07:26:23 UTC
Hello, fellow programmers!

I am sitting in front of a nice new PowerBook portable which has OS
10.4 installed. The Python.org web site says that Apple has shipped OS
10.4 with Python 2.3.5 installed. How exactly do I access this? I
have searched through the Applications and Libraries folders. I found
the site-packages directory, but nothing other than that.

Thanks for your help,
John Ladasky
Kalle Anke
2005-06-18 07:41:06 UTC
Post by l***@my-deja.com
I am sitting in front of a nice new PowerBook portable which has OS
10.4 installed. The Python.org web site says that Apple has shipped OS
10.4 with Python 2.3.5 installed. How exactly do I access this? I
have searched through the Applications and Libraries folders. I found
the site-packages directory, but nothing other than that.
Launch Terminal (can be found in /Application/Utilities/)

type python

that's it

jem
l***@my-deja.com
2005-06-18 15:07:04 UTC
Post by Kalle Anke
Post by l***@my-deja.com
I am sitting in front of a nice new PowerBook portable which has OS
10.4 installed. The Python.org web site says that Apple has shipped OS
10.4 with Python 2.3.5 installed. How exactly do I access this? I
have searched through the Applications and Libraries folders. I found
the site-packages directory, but nothing other than that.
Launch Terminal (can be found in /Application/Utilities/)
type python
that's it
O.K., I found it... thanks! I haven't been down to the UNIX prompt on
the Mac before.

How are the development tools for the Mac? I'll use IDLE if it's
available, but I like Scintilla better.

Repeating my thanks,
John Ladasky
Kalle Anke
2005-06-18 15:34:44 UTC
Post by l***@my-deja.com
How are the development tools for the Mac? I'll use IDLE if it's
available, but I like Scintilla better.
Don't know ... I think that MacPython is perhaps what you're looking for.

Personally, I use BBEdit

jem
Dave Cook
2005-06-19 16:21:53 UTC
Post by l***@my-deja.com
How are the development tools for the Mac? I'll use IDLE if it's
available, but I like Scintilla better.
Idle is

/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/bin/idle

First thing you want to do is install readline to make the interactive
interpreter useable:

http://pythonmac.org/packages/

Other things to try:
Aquamacs with python-mode
http://www.aquamacs.org
http://sourceforge.net/projects/python-mode/
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CustomizeAquamacs (instructions)

I prefer a less aggressively "aquafied" emacs like:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en/CarbonEmacsPackage
but someone who has never used emacs before might not care.

Eclipse + pydev:
http://www.eclipse.org
http://pydev.sourceforge.net/

SPE or Eric3:
http://www.wordtech-software.com/python.html

Dave Cook

Chinook
2005-06-18 08:51:06 UTC
Post by l***@my-deja.com
Hello, fellow programmers!
I am sitting in front of a nice new PowerBook portable which has OS
10.4 installed. The Python.org web site says that Apple has shipped OS
10.4 with Python 2.3.5 installed. How exactly do I access this? I
have searched through the Applications and Libraries folders. I found
the site-packages directory, but nothing other than that.
Thanks for your help,
John Ladasky
You might also want to take a look at:
http://undefined.org/python/#TigerPython24Fix

That is if you want to use Python 2.4.1

There is also a Python SIG for us Mac elitists :~)

Lee C
Maurice LING
2005-06-18 15:10:52 UTC
Post by l***@my-deja.com
Hello, fellow programmers!
I am sitting in front of a nice new PowerBook portable which has OS
10.4 installed. The Python.org web site says that Apple has shipped OS
10.4 with Python 2.3.5 installed. How exactly do I access this? I
have searched through the Applications and Libraries folders. I found
the site-packages directory, but nothing other than that.
Thanks for your help,
John Ladasky
If I recall correctly, the actual Python installation is in
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework but the site-package is
symlinked to /Library/Python. Do not attempt to touch that. This
installation can be accessed in Terminal by typing "pythonw".

Are you or will you be using package managers such as darwinports or Fink?

maurice