Can u help me?
Chano Fucks
2024-03-06 00:06:16 UTC
[image: image.png]
Ethan Furman
2024-03-06 00:24:56 UTC
Post by Chano Fucks
[image: image.png]
The image is of MS-Windows with the python installation window of "Repair Successful". Hopefully somebody better at
explaining that problem can take it from here...

~Ethan~
De ongekruisigde (ds. in de kerk van Roodkapje)
2024-03-06 09:15:55 UTC
Post by Ethan Furman
Post by Chano Fucks
[image: image.png]
The image is of MS-Windows with the python installation window of "Repair Successful". Hopefully somebody better at
explaining that problem can take it from here...
who in their right minds is still using MS-Windows? sorry
Post by Ethan Furman
~Ethan~
MRAB
2024-03-06 00:34:11 UTC
Post by Chano Fucks
[image: image.png]
This list removes all images.
MRAB
2024-03-06 00:49:14 UTC
If the repair was successful, what's the problem?
Ethan Furman
2024-03-06 01:44:38 UTC
Post by MRAB
Post by Ethan Furman
Post by Chano Fucks
[image: image.png]
The image is of MS-Windows with the python installation window of "Repair Successful". Hopefully somebody better at
explaining that problem can take it from here...
If the repair was successful, what's the problem?
I imagine the issue is trying get Python to run (as I recall, the python icon on the MS-Windows desktop is the
installer, not Python itself).
Mats Wichmann
2024-03-06 02:06:02 UTC
Post by MRAB
Post by MRAB
Post by Ethan Furman
explaining that problem can take it from here...
If the repair was successful, what's the problem?
I imagine the issue is trying get Python to run (as I recall, the python
icon on the MS-Windows desktop is the installer, not Python itself).
that's often it, yes - you keep getting the installer when you think you
should get a snazzy Python window. Of course, you don't - Python is a
command-line/terminal program, not a windows app. Now if you tried to
launch IDLE instead, you'd get at least a window.

But we're just guessing here. Perhaps Chano will come back with an
updated question with some details.
MRAB
2024-03-06 02:25:10 UTC
Post by Ethan Furman
Post by MRAB
Post by Ethan Furman
Post by Chano Fucks
[image: image.png]
The image is of MS-Windows with the python installation window of "Repair Successful". Hopefully somebody better at
explaining that problem can take it from here...
If the repair was successful, what's the problem?
I imagine the issue is trying get Python to run (as I recall, the python icon on the MS-Windows desktop is the
installer, not Python itself).
There was an issue 3 years ago about renaming the installer for clarity:

https://github.com/python/cpython/issues/87322
Grant Edwards
2024-03-06 14:42:04 UTC
Post by MRAB
Post by Ethan Furman
Post by MRAB
Post by Ethan Furman
Post by Chano Fucks
[image: image.png]
The image is of MS-Windows with the python installation window of "Repair Successful". Hopefully somebody better at
explaining that problem can take it from here...
If the repair was successful, what's the problem?
I imagine the issue is trying get Python to run (as I recall, the python icon on the MS-Windows desktop is the
installer, not Python itself).
https://github.com/python/cpython/issues/87322
Yea, this problem comes up constantly (and has for many years).

People have suggested renaming the installer so it has "setup" or
"install" in the name.

People have suggested adding text to the installer splash screen to
explain that it's the installer and not python itself, that you
already have python installed, and if you want to _run_ python instead
of _install_ python, here's how.

People have suggested having the installer remove itself by default
when it's done installing.

People have suggested lots of solutions.

AFAICT, nobody has actually done anything.
Gilmeh Serda
2024-03-06 23:10:20 UTC
Post by Grant Edwards
AFAICT, nobody has actually done anything.
It's like people's need for using the substance dihydrogen monoxide, which
is colorless, odorless, tasteless and kills thousands every year.

I bet they're all ROFL.
--
Gilmeh

I used to work in a fire hydrant factory. You couldn't park anywhere near
the place. -- Steven Wright