Installation of Slixfeed with pip fails
Schimon Jehudah
2024-07-30 17:36:43 UTC
Greetings, to one and all!

My name is Schimon, and I am the developer of a news chat bot for the
XMPP network, called Slixfeed.

I have recently added support for OMEMO encryption, and a friend of
mine has reported that there is an issue installing it with pip.

I suppoes this is a fault of a package at PyPi, or a fault at my
pyproject.toml.

This is the link to the project:
https://git.xmpp-it.net/sch/Slixfeed#getting-started

Please advise,
Schimon
Barry Scott
2024-08-03 18:49:48 UTC
Post by Schimon Jehudah
Greetings, to one and all!
My name is Schimon, and I am the developer of a news chat bot for the
XMPP network, called Slixfeed.
I have recently added support for OMEMO encryption, and a friend of
mine has reported that there is an issue installing it with pip.
I suppoes this is a fault of a package at PyPi, or a fault at my
pyproject.toml.
https://git.xmpp-it.net/sch/Slixfeed#getting-started
Please advise,
Please duplicate the problem and if after doing that you have not fixed
the problem post details here.

Barry
Post by Schimon Jehudah
Schimon
Thomas Passin
2024-08-03 20:04:07 UTC
Post by Barry Scott
Post by Schimon Jehudah
Greetings, to one and all!
My name is Schimon, and I am the developer of a news chat bot for the
XMPP network, called Slixfeed.
I have recently added support for OMEMO encryption, and a friend of
mine has reported that there is an issue installing it with pip.
I suppoes this is a fault of a package at PyPi, or a fault at my
pyproject.toml.
https://git.xmpp-it.net/sch/Slixfeed#getting-started
Please advise,
This question is like asking "My car won't run. I suppose it's the
engine. Please advise."
Post by Barry Scott
Please duplicate the problem and if after doing that you have not fixed
the problem post details here.
Barry
Post by Schimon Jehudah
Schimon
Schimon Jehudah
2024-08-11 13:42:23 UTC
Barry. Thomas. I agree.

I do not have his machine to make observations, and therefore this
report is obscured.

I want to solve an issue of a friend who has attempted to install
Slixfeed, which is based on OMEMO, and the installation has failed.

I have asked him to install python-omemo and he has reported this:

$ pip install omemo

[...]

ERROR Failed building wheel for XEdDSA
ERROR Could not build wheels for XEdDSA, which is required to install pyproject.toml-based projects

Please see the attached screenshot.

Kind regards,
Schimon

On Sat, 3 Aug 2024 16:04:07 -0400
Post by Thomas Passin
On 30 Jul 2024, at 18:36, Schimon Jehudah via Python-list
Mats Wichmann
2024-08-12 16:59:54 UTC
Post by Schimon Jehudah
Barry. Thomas. I agree.
I do not have his machine to make observations, and therefore this
report is obscured.
I want to solve an issue of a friend who has attempted to install
Slixfeed, which is based on OMEMO, and the installation has failed.
$ pip install omemo
[...]
ERROR Failed building wheel for XEdDSA
ERROR Could not build wheels for XEdDSA, which is required to install pyproject.toml-based projects
Please see the attached screenshot.
Kind regards,
Schimon
No screenshot arrived here, but this is a pretty typical failure,
especially on Windows systems: pip didn't find a suitable binary wheel
package for the Python version / platform combination, and so tried to
build one from sources. That often requires additional setup before it
can work.

The question would be why - I looked here:

https://pypi.org/project/XEdDSA/#files

and there are binary wheels for Windows, Linux, Mac for CPython 3.7
through 3.12, and also wheels for PyPy from 3.7 through 3.10, so unless
your friend's machine doesn't fit that range, you'd expect that
particular package to install okay.